Finding a roommate can dramatically help cut down on your overall rent payment. However, it’s also a risky maneuver. Some roommates can lead lifestyles that interfere with your own, be unreliable financially and bring home unsavory guests. Putting time into finding a worthwhile roommate is well worth the added research and effort. You will be living with this person for an entire lease – make sure they are worthwhile.
Communicate Your Needs
Make a list of what you’re looking for in a roommate well before you start emailing potential roommates, or posting a wanted ad. This will give you a list of criteria that will help you evaluate all potential roommates equally. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Would you like to move into an unfurnished apartment, or should you be seeking furnished apartments for rent? Roommates must be able to agree on this characteristic.
- Would you prefer a quiet atmosphere, or one that is more active and lively?
- Are you looking for someone to spend time with, more of a friend, or would you like privacy?
- What sort of people will your potential roommate be bringing over? Will a romantic partner be over a majority of the time?
- Do they regularly drink or use drugs? If so, is this a deal breaker?
- Are they financially able to maintain their share of the apartment?
- During your first meeting, how do you two interact? Is communication clear and direct, or confusing and insincere?
Entertain any other questions that may arise during your search. Taking on a roommate is a big commitment, make sure that you select one that meets all of your standards.
Where to Find Roommates
Now that you have a list of what you’re looking for in a roommate, you are ready to begin finding and interviewing potential candidates. Once you have found a roommate, you can then proceed to investigate properties. Many websites will help you find properties, such as Rentseeker Calgary, that you and your roommate can then evaluate. Finding a potential roommate can best be done by asking your friends. Friends of friends will typically make the best roommates. Since you both share a mutual friend, chances are that you’ll be able to get along well.
If you are unable to find any roommates using this method, you may browse classified postings from people who are looking for roommates. Alternatively, you may post your own classified that details what you are looking for in a roommate. Taking time to find a roommate that meets your criteria is well worth the added time and effort.